PRAGUE
Psáry

Psary is located 7 km south from the Prague boundary, and sits on the border with the nature beyond.

Psary represents the typical story of the village near the Czech capital: there has been massive migration of the middle classes to their own newly built houses in the countryside (according to
the idea of the “American dream”). Psary is located just behind the Prague boundary, and sits on the border with the nature beyond. The town has witnessed rapid growth over the past decade,
doubling in size: the number of inhabitants has grown from 1600 to 3500, with plans to accept over 1000 more.

The result is a large mono-functional area forming a new circle behind an existing circle of highdensity housing estates. However the town does not have enough finances to offer services needed
for quality living such as: a new school; shops; cafes; restaurants; leisure and cultural activities. It consists of two original settlements Psary and Dolní Jircany, which were in 1960 administratively
joined. In order to weaken the traditional catholic farmer village Jircany, communist planners divided it and joined the South part with Psary and the North part with Jesenice. After the Velvet
Revolution, Dolní Jircany once again wanted autonomy, but as it would have been economically detrimental to the town budget this never occurred. The challenge is to start dialogue not only between the original inhabitants and the newcomers, but also between the historically separate villagers who cling to distinct and separate identities.
 
 



© 2012 Centre for Central European Architecture (CCEA)  /  created by nextWEB